Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Review Xyron Creative Station


Yesterday I got a Xyron Creative Station. I got it because by changing the cassette you can swap between laminating something on both sides to spreading adhesive evenly over one side. You can buy other cassettes too but I've just got these so far.

It comes ready loaded with a laminating cassette. So I also bought a permanent adhesive cassette.

It's the adhesive that I'm most interested in for my SoulCollage® cards.

As all my cards so far have been collaged digitally I've not had to use glue for that part. I have however been having lots of problems with gluing on wrapping papers to the mat boards. Most glues made the paper wrinkle. Spray glue did not - but its horrible to use and quite a few of my older cards are losing their paper backing as the edges peel away despite having used "permanent" adhesive.

Using this machine to apply glue to one surface has been reasonably successful. Only time will tell how well stuck they are. It took some trial and error to get it right so I'm writing up how I did it as much as a reference for me as for anyone else.

The main thing that did not work was putting the wrapping paper through the machine - it wrinkled badly - I therefore had to put the mat board through - the glue does not adhere to it as well as it does to the back of the print outs but I think (hope) enough went on.

The main con against working like this is sheer cost. This is an expensive way to apply glue. But it minimizes the amount of contact I have with glue and as someone who has, in the past, been allergy prone and sensitive to chemicals I like to avoid them as much as possible.

From printout to backed SoulCollage® card:
Here is the mat board having been through the machine.
It comes out of this with a shiny covering on the unglued side and a paper backing on the glued. They suggest using fingers or a spoon to press around the edges - I've also been pressing the mat board itself to improve the amount of glue that sticks to it. You then peel off the clear film.
As the mat board is so stiff its best to roll off the backing paper carefully - this maximises the amount of glue left on the board.

I found that putting the wrapping paper best side down on the table and then positioning the glued board over it was the best way to work with the smallest amount of excess wrapping paper. I did try working with pieces exactly the right size but found it much better to allow a little excess to trim off later.
Here it is from the other side. Wrapping paper now in place.
Now lets put the picture through the machine. Notice that you put it through right side up.
Wind the handle and out it comes. Make sure it has come completely through the machine before cutting it off the roll with the integral cutter. Several times I cut a little bit of white border off.
Once out go through the same process of rubbing around the edges - this helps to ensure that all the spare glue is taken away by the film. Peel the film off.
Then peel off the paper backing to expose the gluey side.
Position on the mount board.


Then trim to get a finished card.


Here are two pictures of the wrapping paper - one with the label.


The card I've been backing here is Plunger and attributions for the images used are available here.